DR. LOUIS WHITESIDES
Dr. Louis Whitesides, an accomplished Research and Cooperative Extension professional, is the Research Director for South Carolina State University’s 1890 Research & Extension Program. He has a budgetary responsibility of over $6 million and manages a staff of 73 faculty, staff, and students. A federal and state supported program, 1890 Research & Extension conducts problem-solving research and provides quality lifelong learning opportunities designed to help transform the lives of South Carolinians. As administrator for 1890 Research, Whitesides provides the vision, leadership, compliance, and promotes all aspects of the program including management of Federal Capacity Funds (Evans Allen) as well as state appropriated funds earmarked for agricultural research. Dr. Whitesides works closely with deans, faculty, staff, and students to implement the strategic direction set to increase the number and amount of funded research projects, internally and externally. His research interests focus on accessing international markets for rural farmers. There are barriers that farmers, especially small to midsize, face that are sometimes left out of the overall strategy for accessing new markets governmental agencies implement. These barriers include the effects of trade agreements, trade diversion, exchange rate volatility, insurance, letters of credit, and additional foreign requirements for accepting exports, like free from pest and disease of concern. He has published his findings in premier journals in his field, International Journal of Food and Agricultural Economics, The Open Journal of Economics and Finance, Journal of Academy Business and Economics, Journal of Economic Integration, and Applied Economics Letters. He has numerous publications and presentations to his credit. Dr. Whitesides’ Cooperative Extension experiences included a beginning as an extension agent and peaked as the State Director for Community and Economic Development where he managed staff and programs at all external Extension Centers across the state. Dr. Whitesides was awarded more than $1.46 million in federal cooperative agreements and grants from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to administer programs in the rural targeted areas. With his assistance, small business entrepreneurs across the state obtained over $2.3 million in loans and grants from public and private sources to start or expand existing businesses. Dr. Whitesides earned a Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) in International Business from Argosy University of Sarasota, received a Master of Science (MS) in Business Management from Southern Wesleyan University, a Bachelor of Science (BS) in Computer Science from South Carolina State University, completed the Management Development Program at Harvard University, earned a certificate of Executive Leadership from Cornell University, and is a Certified Research Administrator (CRA); less than 8 percent of all research administration personnel have earned this designation. Dr. Whitesides has completed extensive studies abroad on the development and use of business and economic development models of the Czech Republic, Canada, Mexico, Japan, Thailand, China, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Bermuda, and Dominican Republic. Dr. Whitesides has been named Employee of the Year at every professional organization employed.
QUALITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- The Capacity to lead an organization that is complex and diverse. Demonstrated record of excellence in research, teaching, outreach and securing external funding. An appreciation for instructional and information technologies, an understanding of national and international trends, issues, and demographics affecting the university, and a demonstrated capability in institutional advancement, including fundraising and legislative relations.
- An Outstanding ability to work comfortably and efficiently within a challenging, changing, and high stress environment while exercising flexibility, teamwork, and an exceptional aptitude in learning new concepts in a short amount of time and utilize them with great ease thereafter.
- Possession of excellent organizational quotient, communication, time management and customer service skills
- Being a take-charge person who can wear many hats at one time as demonstrated by extraordinary multi-tasking abilities with strong skills in seamlessly managing complex and multiple projects under demanding timelines with emphasis on meticulous attention to details.
- Proficient in planning, developing, supervising, and implementing diversified projects, procedures, and processes for optimum productivity and cost efficiency. Adept at both oral and written communication skills with all levels of staff and management.
- Attributes include strong analytical skills as well as being reliable, responsible, accountable, credible, professional, and loyal. Strong leadership skills with the ability to be a team player.
Take a look at my certificates